Monday, March 4, 2013

Another Transition, are you kidding me?

I am back, and recovered from 'bloggers block'. I have been going through some personal
transitions, and needed to take a break from writing. I found myself doing more speaking than writing,
which I guess served me for a few months. Both the spoken word and written word are very powerful
in helping one experience transitions in their life.

The real work comes in how we show up during these transitions. Do we hide our head under
the covers and peek out to see if anyone is looking, or do we immerse ourselves in so much
busy activity, that we haven't allowed ourselves to experience the feelings of our ' New Normal'?

I work with many clients experiencing major life transitions. They are looking for guidance on how to navigate the choppy waters. I guess you could say I am their compass, providing them with options depending on the direction they want to go. Their work, is to take the first step.

What I have been noticing lately is that so many people are afraid to reveal who they really are. The changes in their life have triggered old patterns of fear, and insecurity. Releasing the past, whether it be a relationship,
a job, or just taking off the masks that we have worn way too long, can be a very scary place.
The coping mechanisms are usually one of two choices. Either revert back to the old patterns, which is
is a very safe place to fall, or completely immerse ourselves in new activities, relationships, not allowing
for that period of transition. What if we end up exposing our insecurities, and others realize that what appeared to be 'perfect' was nothing more than an illusion? Perfection is exhausting, and unattainable. Let it go!

I like to think of major transitional periods ( which according to research, happens approximately every seven years) as a time to begin anew. With challenges also come new opportunities to grow and spread
our wings. Who wants to live a live a mediocre life? Not me! I may have been uncomfortable with the changes when they first appeared at my doorstep,  but I have rediscovered a strength that I had long forgotten. I had become complacent, allowing life to run on auto pilot. Now I am back in control, and it feels amazing. I am fully awake, an no longer sleep walking through my personal life.

Letting go of the dreams that we had years ago, can be either painful or freeing. Those dreams of the past no longer serve me, and my aspirations are different now. That's the great thing about dreams, you aren't
bound to them, unless you choose to be. You can tweak them, change them, but NEVER GIVE UP
on your dreams. Don't allow anyone to take that away from you. Know that you deserve to dream, and whether its big or small, it's yours and yours alone.

So step forward, show the world the REAL you, flaws and all. That's what makes us all so unique and
wonderful. We don't have to be perfect thank goodness. Know that you are perfect just the way you are, and that has to be good enough. Otherwise, you are continually arguing with reality, and reality always wins! So what's your New Normal?
Until, next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment